Friday, May 28, 2010

A lesson in humility

As soon as I stopped tumbling after being thrown from the bike Tuesday, I began throwing my helmet and gloves in a fit of very adolescent tourettes. This was a poor example of Christianity for those gracious people who came running to my aid after witnessing the event. It wasn't until the adrenaline subsided and my blood pressure returned to normal that I hung my head in repentence and thanked God for watching over me. I saw this as a revealed character flaw that I must work on. How we react in the moment without time to think reveals our instinct. My instinct was to beat myself up for not having had x-ray vision and responding quicker. If only I had.... Rather, my instinct should have been an instant "Yeah, God!" for not having any broken bones. So, the next time you smash your finger with a hammer, spill coffee on your iPad or hit the gas instead of the brake, train your instinct to give glory to the Creator. It will take the edge off an otherwise inglorious moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment