Thursday, May 27, 2010

Agricultural motorcycle riding

Well, I did some involuntary agricultural driving on the R1 yesterday. My body armor saved my butt. I came out of it with a little road rash on my left arm and thigh and a sprained thumb. Outside of a broken fairing, windscreen and cracked tail frame, the bike is ok too. Moral of the story: don't follow too close to other cars so you can react quickly enough to obstacles in the road like storage container lids that other vehicles can straddle! I wasn't able to zig-zag in time to avoid the lid, it washed out the front end and tank slapped the bars sending me into a nice v-shaped ditch with lots of soupy mud. I rode it for about a hundred feet before it launched me off the bike and I was able to slide on my back on the shoulder of the road most of the way before tumbling back into the ditch.

I reinforce my advocacy of wearing your gear folks. I can't say it enough. Helmet laws may be oppressive, armor may be uncomfortable but brain damage would be a real bummer and being dead would really ruin an otherwise good day.

Yea though I ride in the shadow of a muddy ditch at 55mph, I will not fear the storage container lid and asphalt for my God is with me. His grace and mercy are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment